Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Troublesome Touch

So if you don't already know, I got myself the latest 32GB iPod Touch. It was late by the time I got back, and I thought to myself, my word, I'm gonna have to stay up all night at this rate with the hundreds of apps I'm gonna fill my iPod with.

About 5min after plugging my iPod into my computer for the first time, realization hit me.

I don't know where to start on the App Store.

So I enlisted the help of some Touch-owning friends, chiefly Daniel because the rest said something to the effect of "Just download games lor." Thanks guys.

One thing I noticed though, is that without 3G or GPS, a huge huge number of apps are almost useless, unless you have some reliable WiFi. Which I don't in camp. I am really REALLY tempted to get M1's MiFi, except that it charges on Micro USB, and I don't wanna risk the people up there finding fault with a mini-to-micro USB converter cable. Plus it will cost me. But FINALLY. WIFI IN CAMP. I AM MY OWN MASTERRRRRR!

Here are some useful apps I've found so far.

If you don't already know, 1-Click Wireless@SG is a must have for Touch users, to ease the trouble of logging into WSG hotspots. Facebook and eBuddy are pretty standard apps too, but alternative mobile IM apps are Fring and Palringo.

The best guitar tuner you can find for free is the... well Guitar Tuner app. It only gives you the pitch of standard-tuned strings, but since there is no in-built mic in the Touch, there really isn't a point paying for chromatic tuners. Some of which are really good, by the way, if you have an iPhone. And while we're on the subject of guitars, the Planet Waves Chordmaster application looks to be one of the best chord guides you will find for free. The paid version will give you access to variable positions of the chords, but I think the free version is more than enough.

There's an app for possibly the most famous currency conversion site, XE.com, and it saves conversion rates so even without connectivity you can get a rough gauge of how much X costs in your local currency or vice versa.

The Holy Bible app by LifeChurch.tv looks to be the best with select downloadable versions and much more versions available subject to WiFi or 3G. And while we are on reading, here's the most useful app that I have discovered by myself so far.

Wattpad is an app for the e-book repository of the same name. There are classic and self-authored works there, and if you search hard enough, you might also find what you want.

Hint hint.

1 comment:

@anantshiva said...

jailbreak it dude.

and I've got one word for you: Appulous.

shh. :)